Want Us To Contact You?
EDWARD E. WANKEL, MPA
Ed Wankel received a Bachelor of Science degree in Business Administration from Dowling College in Oakdale, New York, an Associate of Applied Science degree in Business Administration from Suffolk Community College, New York, and a Master’s degree in Public Administration from C.W. Post, Long Island University.
Ed Wankel has over thirty-five years of professional and technical experience in planning and administration, five years in urban planning and over thirty-five years in Recreation and Education planning, administration, maintenance, park safety and risk management. Mr. Wankel was formerly the Director of Planning for Leisure Systems Services, a division of Planning Associations/P.A. Education and Recreation Consultants, for six years. He was an instructor at St. Joseph’s College for over five years.
Ed Wankel served as the Commissioner of the Town of Islip Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs, for twelve years. In addition, he was the Commissioner of Parks, Recreation and Conservation for Suffolk County, NY for over three years.
Ed Wankel was appointed by the Governor as the Deputy Commissioner of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation for the State of New York in 1995 and served until December of 1998. In that capacity, he oversaw the Long Island and New York City Regions. Mr. Wankel served as Vice President of the Suffolk County Police Athletic League, as well as the Treasurer of the New York State Recreation and Parks Society.
Ed Wankel is President of his own firm, Leisure Service Associates, Inc. This firm conducts a variety of management services for both public and private sector organizations that deliver leisure services to the public. LSA specializes in risk management and safety programs for educational, public and private recreation facilities and areas.
OFFICES IN: NAPLES FL, – LAFAYETTE, IN, – NEW YORK, NY
- Long Island University, C.W. Post Center – Master of Public Administration 1995
- NRPA Playground Safety Course
- Dowling College, New York, BBA/1974
- Suffolk Community College, New York – AAS/1971
- Revenue Resource Management School –For Parks
North Carolina State University Graduate Seminars
- New York Institute of Technology
Certificate in Labor Management Relations
- Cornell University, New York
Certificate in Contract Management
Dowling College, Oakdale, New York, Instructor
• Creative Communication and Government Studies
St. Joseph’s College, Brentwood, New York, Instructor
• Recreation & Parks Education Program and Safety
President of Leisure Services Associates Inc.
From 2000 to –Present
- Director of the Sports Center for Suffolk County Community College, Brentwood New York. 2000 – 2002
- President of Long Island Golf Management Inc. 2000 – December 31, 2013
- Deputy Commissioner, New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation
Mr. Wankel has served as Deputy Commissioner of this Agency for four years from 1995 through December of 1998. In this capacity, he was responsible for the Long Island and New York City Regions, and oversaw all of the recreational facilities in those regions. These included; Jones Beach State Park, Planting Fields Arboretum, Riverbank State Park (Ice and Roller Rink) gym and Recreation facilities, NYC, Recreational Swimming Pools, playgrounds, campgrounds and Beaches and twenty-three NYS Golf Courses.
In addition, Mr. Wankel was primarily responsible for bringing the U.S. Open to the Black Course at Bethpage State Park in 2002.
- Commissioner, Suffolk County Department of Parks, Recreation and Conservation from February 1992 to April 19, 1995
Mr. Wankel was responsible for the administration of a departmental budget of over $9 million. Mr. Wankel managed over 30,000 acres of parkland and recreational facilities with a staff of 375 full-time and part-time employees.
- Commissioner, Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs, Town of Islip, Suffolk County, New York, January 1980 through Spring, 1987 and January 1988 to February 1992.
Mr. Wankel was responsible for over 150 Park and Recreation facilities within the Township; including, playgrounds, pools, beaches, golf courses, two ice rinks, gym and athletic fields.
- Deputy Town Supervisor, Town of Islip, 1987
Mr. Wankel served as the Deputy Chief Executive Officer of the Town. He was responsible for the administration of a $96 million budget and 1,400 full-time and part-time personnel.
- Executive Assistant to the Supervisor, Town of Islip, 1979
- Executive Assistant to the Commissioner of the Department of Parks, Recreation and Cultural Affairs, Town of Islip from August 1973 to April 1979
- Director of Planning, Leisure Systems Services, Planning Associates, Education and Recreation Consultants, Inc., New York 1967 to 1973
- Evaluating Cost-Benefit Analysis Techniques, Leisure Systems Services, Bohemia, New York
- Application of Carrying Capacity Technique to Recreation Planning, Leisure Systems Services, Bohemia, New York
- Utilization of Economic Marketing Techniques as a Method of Predicting Recreation Facility Requirements, Leisure Systems Services, Bohemia, New York
- Analysis of the “Roles and Responsibilities of Government in Providing Leisure Services”, Dowling College, Oakdale, New York
- Development of a “Conceptual Planning Model for Leisure Services”
- Consultant for Tallgrass Golf Course in Shoreham, New York 1999-2000. Prepared a risk management analysis for this new golf course.
He managed this Golf Course. (2004-2010)
- Risk Management Consultant for the Brooklyn Sports Center 2003/0.4 including a pool, fitness area and a gym with a basketball court.
- Prepared “Request for Proposal” for the Village of Port Jefferson, New York.
- Prepared an analysis of the management agreement for Smithtown Landing, NY.
Consultant to Town of Madison, CT, Prepared RFP for a new recreation facility under a Public/Private partnership 1999 – 2006
Served as the Land Preservation Adviser for the Town of Southold, NY. 2002
Served as consultant to Old Vine Construction Corp. for the development of a new private golf course, clubhouse, tennis court and fitness facility.
Consultant to City of Melrose, MA, prepared a request for proposal and examined safety issues on this public park facility.
ASTM Committee Member for Sports Equipment, Playgrounds, Playing Surfaces, and facilities.
ASTM Committee Member for Amusement Rides, Rinks, and Devices
“Computerized Recreation Planning”, Journal of the New York Recreation and Park Society
“Safety on the Golf Course”, Long Island Golfer Magazine, 1992
Columnist for the “Tribune”, wrote a column “Around Long Island Parks”, 1999/2003
Mr. Wankel has presented a number of educational seminars for the following organizations:
- New York Recreation and Park Society
- Long Island Recreation and Park Association
- Metropolitan Golf Association (Risk Management)
- National Recreation and Parks Association
COMMUNITY SERVICE: (Past & Present)
- Suffolk County Police Athletic League, Board of Directors (1985 to 2011)
- Long Island Alzheimer’s Foundation, Board of Directors
- Town of Islip Council on the Arts, Member
- Holbrook Lions Club
- Southold Kiwanis
- Southold Chamber of Commerce
- North Fork Environmental Council member
- Member, Golf Advisory Committee, The Quarry, Naples, FL
PROFESSIONAL AFFILIATIONS: (Past and Present)
- Long Island Recreation, Parks & Leisure Services Association
- RSA, Roller Skating Association International 2016
- USA Rink Association
- International Association of Trampoline Parks 2016
- National Recreation and Parks Association
- Ice Skating Institute ISIA
- Metropolitan Golf Association
- United States Golf Association
- World Water Park Association 2016
- American Park and Recreation Society
- New York State Recreation and Parks Society
- American Society of Public Administration
- Metropolitan Club Managers Association/ MCMA
- Club Managers Association of America CMAA 2016
- ACCT, Association for Challenge Course Technology 2014
Dowling College Distinguished Service Award 1998
Suffolk Community College Distinguished Service Award 1997
Man of the Year, Suffolk County Police Athletic League 1996
Mr. Wankel was nominated for the 1998 Metropolitan Golf Association Distinguished Service Award.
Edward Matthews: Commissioner of Parks, Recreation and Facilities, St. Lucie County, Florida
Alphonsis Heraghty, Physical Education Department Chairperson, Suffolk County Community College, New York 631-241-3058
Gerald Lotto, Attorney, Bohemia, New York
Leisure Services Associates Inc.
Edward E. Wankel, President
NAPLES, FL 34119
SEND US A MESSAGE
Office: (239) 316-1168